With only a month of winter left, I want to get my fill of butternut squash recipes before spring. My husband and I have been making this recipe together since our first Thanksgiving.
What you will need:
1.5 cups of roasted butternut squash
2 cups of milk
2 cups of sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 pound of penne pasta
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
Parmesan cheese, for garnishing
Black pepper, for garnishing
2 large pots
How to do it:
1. Start the water for the pasta according to the package instructions. When the water boils, add 1 tablespoon of salt and the pasta. Cook according to the package instructions and drain with the colander.
2. While the pasta cooks, add the squash puree and milk to the blender.
3. Blend the squash mixture for 30 seconds and add it to the empty pot. Set the pot over medium heat.
4. Add the garlic powder and nutmeg to the squash mixture. Stir the squash mixture for 10 minutes until it is warm.
5. Turn off the heat, and fold the cheese into the squash mixture for 2 minutes.
6. Add the drained pasta and mix it into the squash/cheese sauce.
7. Garnish with the black pepper and parmesan cheese and serve.
Note: This would also taste good baked with a buttery breadcrumb topping. How do you like your mac and cheese?